My Blog List

Friday, January 18, 2008

Reluctant Widow

I love book covers, though they never seem to live up to my imagination. The latest crop of Heyer covers, using portraits & paintings of the 19th century, should have been wonderful: so many splendid works of art to choose from. Instead, they were mostly awful, and often bizarre. One wonders if the person composing the covers had any idea of what the books were about. Edwardian paintings to show Regency era men and woman. People lolling about on the lawn when the book was a swashbuckler. Bleah.

Anyhow: I have this fashion portrait in my largish collection. I scanned it and added other details, which, I think & hope, give a potential reader an inkling as to what is inside the covers! The Reluctant Widow is a Napoleonic era (Regency) romance/mystery/gothic, all done in a tongue-in-cheek humor. One of my favorite Georgette Heyers'.

1 comment: