My Blog List

Monday, November 15, 2010

La Belle Assemblee Fashion Plate

The "La Bell Assemblee" prints are very spotty, perhaps mildewed, so I had to do a lot of cleaning up. The next one is in perfect condition: I'm not sure its an original or a later reprint. The paper seems similar to the others, but I can't tell for sure.  The original engravings are very detailed and beautiful, tho not colored like Ackermann's & all the other fashion plates.  I really like the caps: they aren't really well described in fiction, and when reading, say, a Georgette Heyer novel, I tend to imagine the Hollywood "maid's cap".  Apparently they could be quite  detailed and elegant.  Women in those days nearly always wore hats or caps.  It was a bit "fast" to go bear-headed!  And to go around bare-headed and with the hair hanging down: Ooo La! La!  Very naughty.
First Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment